Accountants' Liability in Canada is the only work of its kind that addresses specifically and exclusively the civil liability of accountants in contract, negligence and fiduciary law. Written by Ronald Foerster, a leading practitioner in the area of Commercial Litigation, Accountants' Liability in Canada offers a thorough explanation of the development of the law in Canada, England and the U.S.A., as well as a comprehensive explanation of the current state of the law in Canada. Well written in clear, concise language that both lawyers and accountants can easily understand, the work begins with a summary of the scope of the work and then proceeds to answer the questions:
- What is the tort of negligent misstatement?
- How does it differ from other branches of the law?
- To whom may accountants be liable?
- When does an accountant owe a duty to a non-client?
- What is the standard of care that accountants must meet in order not to be liable?
- How does the standard vary in preparing financial statements for different services?
- What is the standard of care for accountants who engage in non-traditional functions?
- What role does reliance play in negligent misstatement?
- What fiduciary duties do accountants owe, to whom, and in what circumstances?
- What damages are courts awarding for accountants’ liability in contract, negligence and fiduciary law?
Moreover, the author offers his expertise and position on the merits or weaknesses in court decisions and where the courts should move in resolving outstanding problems with the law.
"With the ongoing debate over increased regulation of accountants and the potential spillover effect on corporate governance and risk, this text will become a well-referenced treatise by writers and speakers on the subject."
Jean Chong, Librarian, Legal Services Society of B.C. (Formerly Tax Research Centre Manager, PricewaterhouseCoopers) West Vancouver, BC
Get FREE eBook access with your looseleaf subscription(s) This title has become a part of Thomson Reuters ProView™, which means you'll have eBook access to all the content as part of your looseleaf print subscription. About Thomson Reuters ProView™ Not just any eReader, Thomson Reuters ProView is a free, professional-grade platform that gives you the freedom to work however, whenever, and wherever you want, with access to your Thomson Reuters eBooks online and offline. With our ProView eBooks, you can:
- Access your eBook content through your choice of iPad, Android tablet, desktop app (Windows and Mac), or web login*
- Provide eBook access for an unlimited number of users at the same location, with your looseleaf subscription(s)
- Enjoy automatically integrated product updates, with your looseleaf subscription(s)
- Access your entire ProView library with one username and password
- Create a PDF that you can save, print, add your notes, and share
- Link out to full-text cases in WestlawNext® Canada or in Taxnet Pro® (available with subscriptions to WestlawNext Canada or Taxnet Pro)
- Register up to four different devices to your ProView account to access your library
- Sync all your notes, highlights and bookmarks, across all devices you registered with your ProView account
- Automatically transfer all of your notes, highlights and bookmarks, to updated editions and contents
For the entire range of titles offered as Thomson Reuters ProView eBooks, or for more information on Thomson Reuters ProView: Visit www.carswell.com/products/thomson-reuters-proview *Certain features and functionalities may not be available to ProView users accessing looseleaf eBooks in an IP authentication environment. iPad and Mac are trademarks of Apple Inc. Android is a trademark of Google Inc. Windows is a trademark of Microsoft Corp.